List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: FW: GSOC-2013 Proj- PMC rel. queries
From:       Sinny Kumari <ksinny () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-24 18:38:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Shantanu Tushar Jha <shaan7in@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Saurabh,
>
> Nice to see your interest in Plasma Media Center, find my comments inline.
> Also, you don't have to use sir/madam etc in your emails, just use people's
> names to address them :)

+1
No sir / madam

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Saurabh Jain <saurabhskj@hotmail.com>wrote:

>> Dear sir/mam,
>> Please went through the below forwarded mail which is in continuation to
>> what Sinny mam had presented her views on my earlier ideas. In my last
>> email, I have mentioned 2 more improvements so I request you to please give
>> your feedback to me.
>> Also, I apologize for not sending my past e-mails to "
>> plasma-devel@kde.org".
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Saurabh Jain
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> From: saurabhskj@hotmail.com
>> To: ksinny@gmail.com
>> Subject: RE: GSOC-2013 Proj- PMC rel. queries
>> Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:26:41 +0530
>>
>>  Thank you.
>> All music, All pictures and All Videos are still not working on my system
>> even after reinstalling the nepomuk packages. When restarting the
>> nepomukindexer, I get the following error in the end-  Error:
>> "/var/tmp/kdecache-saurabh" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0. I will
>> try to resolve this issue with nepomuk community.
>>
>> Yes, shuffle mode is working well and mistakenly I pointed it out as
>> missing. What I would like to point out is once you have created a
>> playlist, you cannot rearrange the existing order of songs to the desired
>> one. The only way, which I found, to do so is to create an another playlist
>> from the beginning.
>>

> Yes, manual ordering will be a nice thing to implement.

Right now, playlist has very limited functionality. So, yes lot of scope of
improvement here.

>> One more improvement which I would like to mention in *Pictures* section
>> is that in presence of *proxy server*, picasa is unable to connect to
>> the google account or to load the pictures.
>>

> PMC should pick up the proxy settings from your proxy settings in Network
> Settings in KDE system settings. You should check that.
>

>> Also, pressing the "tab" key after entering the email id in google
>> account section does not move the cursor to next section, i.e., password
>> textbox. Keyboard does not seem to produce any output in some other
>> situations as well.
>>

> Yep that sounds like a good idea :)

True, this need to be done. Other than that, keyboard navigation doesn't
work at many other places in PMC. All of them needs to be fixed.

> [...]
>> which also share same memory/address space. Further, Interthread
>> communication is also easily done and inexpensive as well. This concept can
>> also be used to compare many pictures simultaneously and then rate it and
>> tag your peers and share it (the feature of "sharing on social networking
>> site") .
>>
>> I have an experience of working with multi- threading in Java as I built
>> quite a few applets in my first year of college. So I think above mentioned
>> features can also be coded in Qt platform.
>> Synchronization feature- I would like to discuss with you on IRC as I am
>> having some queries related to its implementation.
>> I would like to know whether a scripting language like perl etc be used
>> to introduce some more features based upon socket programming in media-
>> center?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Saurabh Jain
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> From: saurabhskj@hotmail.com
>> To: ksinny@gmail.com
>> Subject: GSOC-2013 Proj- PMC rel. queries
>> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:53:52 +0530
>>
>>  Dear *mam,
>> I, Saurabh Jain, am a sophomore, B.Tech in Computer Science and
>> Engineering student at IIT Mandi. I would like to participate in this
>> year's google summer of code 2013 and therefore went through the projects
>> listed by KDE organisation. I explored a couple of those projects
>> thoroughly and hence, I would like to share some ideas and ask queries
>> related to this project with title- *Improvements and enhancements for
>> Plasma Media Center. *
>> I recently installed the software on my linux system and found this
>> project idea to be quite an awesome to begin with. The all-in-one
>> integration keeps it apart from other software. Some additional features
>> like implementing a search engine which shows all the results irrespective
>> of whether its a music, picture or video. Using the concept of
>> multi-threading, multiple files of same type can be executed in parallel.
>> Using this feature, if the user wants to compare the two files, in case of
>> pictures, then he/she can do it with ease. Another feature which is
>> synchronizing your files stored on the mobile device can also be added.
>> Sharing of files on the social networking site can also be incorporated in
>> this software which can be done using the concept of socket programming.
>> At present, based upon my experience in using this software, any file
>> like a song etc cannot be directly played with this application by just
>> right clicking on that file and then choosing this application in the "open
>> with" menu option. Adding this feature will make the user to play the file
>> directly rather than first opening the software and then browsing the file
>> in the directory, in case the file is not already present there in the
>> media center.
>>
>> Kindly let me know your opinions on the above mentioned ideas.

http://www.sinny.in

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Shantanu Tushar Jha <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:shaan7in@gmail.com" target="_blank">shaan7in@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> \
wrote:<br> <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px \
your interest in Plasma Media Center, find my comments inline. Also, you don&#39;t \
have to use sir/madam etc in your emails, just use people&#39;s names to address them \
:)<br>

style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> <div \
Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Saurabh Jain <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \

solid;padding-left:1ex">

style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Calibri;line-height:22px">Dear \
sir/mam,</span><div style="line-height:22px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Calibri">Please \
went through the below forwarded mail which is in continuation to what Sinny mam had \
presented her views on my earlier ideas. In my last email, I have mentioned 2 more \
improvements so I request you to please give your feedback to me. </div>

apologize for not sending my past e-mails to &quot;<a \
href="mailto:plasma-devel@kde.org" target="_blank">plasma-devel@kde.org</a>&quot;. \

style="line-height:22px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Calibri">Thanks and \
Regards,</div><div style="line-height:22px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Calibri">

href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \
target="_blank">saurabhskj@hotmail.com</a><br>To: <a href="mailto:ksinny@gmail.com" \

working on my system even after reinstalling the nepomuk packages. When restarting \
the nepomukindexer, I get the following error in the end-  Error: \
&quot;/var/tmp/kdecache-saurabh&quot; is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0. I will \
try to resolve this issue with nepomuk community. <br>

What I would like to point out is once you have created a playlist, you cannot \
rearrange the existing order of songs to the desired one. The only way, which I \
found, to do so is to create an another playlist from the beginning. <br>

ordering will be a nice thing to \
now, playlist has very limited functionality. So, yes lot of scope of improvement \
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div \
solid;padding-left:1ex">

server</b>, picasa is unable to connect to the google account or to load the \
pictures.<br>

up the proxy settings from your proxy settings in Network Settings in KDE system \
pressing the &quot;tab&quot; key after entering the email id in google account \
section does not move the cursor to next section, i.e., password textbox. Keyboard \
does not seem to produce any output in some other situations as well.<br>

this need to be done. Other than that, keyboard navigation doesn&#39;t work at many \
class="gmail_quote"><div></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 \
href="mailto:ksinny@gmail.com" target="_blank">ksinny@gmail.com</a><br>

To: <a href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \
href="mailto:Plasma-devel@kde.org" \
Jain <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \

views. Yes, you were right and I did deviate from the main point as I used the \
software and liked the idea of building such an application and therefore I thought \
more in enhancing and incorporating new features in it.<div>

I forgot to mention some of the improvements, which I think, can be done in this \
application. The &quot;open with&quot; menu option which I mentioned in my first mail \
also needs to be improved as the user can see this application in the above menu but \
due to lack of functionality provided on the back end, the user does not get the \
desired output response. <br>

style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

tried searching for a music which is also there in the playlist but did not get any \
results (neither did it respond with search failure nor with song <br>

found). Improving the song search can have an alternative if sorting feature is \
introduced by virtue of which user can sort the albums, songs etc according to their \
names. Player can be enhanced with modes like repeat, shuffle, etc. and reordering of \
songs in the playlist is also not there. <br>

me search works fine for Artist, Album and songs works fine but yeah, it doesn&#39;t \
display message when search result is zero.<br><br>

style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

&quot;All Picture&quot; does not produce any results. Every time if the user has to \
view the pictures, he/she has to browse the pictures in the folders first and then \
load it. Further, just like we have the option to select some files and play them \
only, in a similar fashion, we can have option to select some pictures and then view \
them via slide show. <br>

guess, your Nepomuk indexer is not running or maybe haven&#39;t indexed your picture \
directory. Check with that then All Picture will work fine.<br>

screen mode toggle button can be added into video section so that the user can \
directly watch the video in full screen mode. Also, many a times, it happens that the \
user downloads the subtitles of the movie which he/she wants to watch as the movie is \
not in his/her native language. For eg. if the movie&#39;s name is abc.avi, the \
subtitle&#39;s file is renamed to abc.en.srt in order to view the subtitle along with \
the movie in media player. The plasma media center is unable to show the subtitles \
when the movie is being played. <br>

Full screen Icon was in Media Player but it didn&#39;t fit well there so we moved it \
into configuration section in HomeScreen.<br>

Right now it works only for ffile with filename.srt file. It needs to be improved to \

mentioned above and please give me your feedback. I would try to explore more in \
media center and will keep you updated with any kind of improvements, that I come \
across and, can be done in it. <br>

+0530<br>Subject: Re: GSOC-2013 Proj- PMC rel. queries<br>From: <a \
href="mailto:ksinny@gmail.com" target="_blank">ksinny@gmail.com</a><br>

To: <a href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \
interest towards this project. <br>

deviated from  our idea&#39;s title which is &quot;<span \
style="font-weight:normal"><span>Improvements and enhancements for Plasma Media \
Center&quot;. <br>

not much mature not. That is why,  we are looking for improvement of existing \
features which we have. So, please go trough what all features are already available \
in PMC <a href="http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_Media_Center" \
target="_blank">http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_Media_Center</a> <a \
href="http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_Media_Center" \
target="_blank">http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_Media_Center</a> .<br>

PMC and then see what all improvements you can do in it to make it better and more \
18, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Saurabh Jain <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:saurabhskj@hotmail.com" \
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

on some of the ideas I mentioned in my past email. First of all, the feature which I \
proposed on the concept of multi-threading or thread- based multi tasking. Lets take \
an example in which user is listening to some music in the playlist. Now, if the user \
wants to play some music in other playlist or from the disk storage, it can be done \
only at the cost of termination of present session or starting a parallel session of \
media center (<i> process- based </i>multitasking ) but the latter one will be \
expensive and limited (in terms of Inter-process communication as well) and will \
require an extra memory space which will eventually decrease the CPU performance. \
Using thread- based multitasking in the code, rather than starting a new process \
every time in cases mentioned above, a program can run many instants of it at the \
same time which also share same memory/address space. Further, Interthread \
communication is also easily done and inexpensive as well. This concept can also be \
used to compare many pictures simultaneously and then rate it and tag your peers and \
share it (the feature of &quot;sharing on social networking site&quot;) . <div>

built quite a few applets in my first year of college. So I think above mentioned \
features can also be coded in Qt platform. </div><div>Synchronization feature- I \
would like to discuss with you on IRC as I am having some queries related to its \
implementation. </div>

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:53:52 +0530<br><br>

sophomore, B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering student at IIT Mandi. I would \
like to participate in this year&#39;s google summer of code 2013 and therefore went \
through the projects listed by KDE organisation. I explored a couple of those \
projects thoroughly and hence, I would like to share some ideas and ask queries \
related to this project with title- <b>Improvements and enhancements for Plasma Media \
Center. </b></div>

to be quite an awesome to begin with. The all-in-one integration keeps it apart from \
other software. Some additional features like implementing a search engine which \
shows all the results irrespective of whether its a music, picture or video. Using \
the concept of multi-threading, multiple files of same type can be executed in \
parallel. Using this feature, if the user wants to compare the two files, in case of \
pictures, then he/she can do it with ease. Another feature which is synchronizing \
your files stored on the mobile device can also be added. Sharing of files on the \
social networking site can also be incorporated in this software which can be done \
using the concept of socket programming.</div>

song etc cannot be directly played with this application by just right clicking on \
that file and then choosing this application in the &quot;open with&quot; menu \
option. Adding this feature will make the user to play the file directly rather than \
first opening the software and then browsing the file in the directory, in case the \
file is not already present there in the media center. </div>

Club</div>

href="tel:%2B91-9805377265" value="+919805377265" \
Plasma-devel mailing list<br>
Tushar    (UTC +0530)<br><a href="http://www.shantanutushar.com" \
Plasma-devel mailing list<br>