On Friday, March 15, 2013 14:38:45 Martin Gr=E4=DFlin wrote: > this is a small request for comments where I would like to get some > comments for. That is I don't want to go ahead without consensus. > = > Since [1] KWin has the internal KDecorationBridge as a public part of the = > KDecoration API to allow Compiz to implement it. This is rather unfortuna= te > as it makes our life more difficult as we cannot extend our internal API > without doing subclassing and all that effort (see for example [2]). > = > Given that it seems like nobody is still using Compiz instead of KWin I do > not see why we should continue to support it. Therefore I want to request > to make KDecorationBridge private again by unexporting the header file. If > we agree on that I'm going to inform kde-packagers about it, so that they > can conflict the 4.10 package with compiz-kde. > = > To back my claim I checked various distributions: > * Ubuntu is not shipping kde-window-decorator in compiz-kde since precise > and doesn't ship compiz-kde since quantal [3] > * Arch is shipping an outdated version in the community repo [4] > * openSUSE is shipping an outdated version [5] > * Gentoo is shipping an outdated version which is patched for 4.10 [6] > * Fedora is shipping an outdated Compiz version, but seems to not ship > compiz- kde [7] > * Mageia is shipping an up to date version of Compiz (!), whether it > includes compiz-kde I couldn't figure out [8] > = > In all cases where I wrote outdated version it is the 0.8 branch of compi= z, = > while Canonical is at 0.9. > = > If Compiz still wants to support our decorations (which I doubt, though = > support for appmenu got added end of last year) they would only need to > fork the header file and ensure by themselves that it works correctly. Maybe interesting to know: Did you get any bugreports regarding use of comp= iz = in Plasma Desktop lately? And: Compiz is dead upstream, isn't it? -- = sebas http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9 _______________________________________________ Plasma-devel mailing list Plasma-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel