List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Display Configuration KCM design review
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-03 14:41:18

On Wednesday 03 October 2012, Aur=E9lien G=E2teau wrote:
> > > =

> > > One potential problem with the Plasma monitor is light glares are goi=
ng
> > > to be all messed up if the screen is rotated, especially the one on
> > > the screen itself. Maybe something along the line of attached mockup
> > > would fit? (only, drawn by an artist) The led is a cue about the
> > > orientation of the screen (and you can use a dimmed one if the screen
> > > is disabled).
> > =

> > the monitor shouldn't be rotated at all (no graphics is going to appear
> > correct or decent once rotated, really :p), just resized to the proper
> > size, that would be a rectangle taller than wide.
> =

> You will get distorted glares nevertheless... this may look good enough
> though, but I believe an abstract-enough representation can look good
> rotated.

there is a reflection in the middle of the screen that is a separate elemen=
t, =

so it may or may not be used (is a diagonal of the monitor rectangle and =

pretty weak, i think it goes well at basically any ratio, but can be just n=
ot =

painted)

there is also a bit of effect in the screen border, that would stretch to s=
tay =

at half screen.
not sure is a bad thing. if it is, the monitor svg may be modified to eithe=
r =

not have reflection in the monitor border, or to stay with an unscaled heig=
ht.

Over the years with plasma themes we basically already had and solved all =

those problems, is really the same: doing a rounded rectangle thing that lo=
oks =

good at any proportion, optional overlay/glass effects that may look scaled=
, =

unscaled, tiled, scaled only for width, only for height...

> > as your svg a svg element representing a power led may be added and dra=
wn
> > on the right position to give more hint on how the monitor is rotated.
> =

> Isn't this likely to break with other themes? I am not sure there is a
> reliable way to get the correct offset in all cases.

it would simply not be there, and that's not serious, shouldn't be an eleme=
nt =

the ui has to rely on to make sense anyways.
since the borders have a fixed size, is easy to make the thing in a way tha=
t =

looks correct if the thing is put in a corner

> > a problem with that is that it may suggest that led is a button and may
> > be clicked somehow
> =

> I didn't envision this led to be big enough to be mistaken for an
> interactive control, but if it is made big enough, maybe it can be used to
> replace the "enabled" checkbox?

don't know, it may be the level in which it becomes too much skeu :p

Cheers,
Marco Martin