List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE architecture diagram
From:       Mario Fux <kde-ml () unormal ! org>
Date:       2012-06-08 11:17:35

Am Freitag 08 Juni 2012, 12.35:46 schrieb Martin Klapetek:

Morning

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Sebastian K=FCgler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:
> > Food for thought: How many Linux kernel developers do you know that try
> > to divide the Linux kernel in subprojects for servers, desktops,
> > embedded systems? Here, just like in Plasma, there are a few codepathes
> > that differ per
> > device, but the majority of the code is shared. The differences come fr=
om
> > how
> > you configure it for a given target device. That is conceptually the sa=
me
> > as
> > with Plasma we're building a system that you can configure for a wide
> > range of
> > target devices.
> =

> While I share your idea of Plasma Workspaces, I would imagine that
> different parts of the kernel are maintained/developed by different peopl=
e.
> Sure, the core is the same, but the platform-specific stuff needs to be
> different (if only a little). So one needs to see the difference between
> core and the "workspace" in our Plasma case. In other words - if you add
> method to the core and make use of it in Active, it doesn't magically
> happen on desktop too. Which I think might be on of the problems - seeing
> the Plasma team focusing on Active, bringing new features there while the
> desktop is...well, it's the same for the past 3 years. And just look at

That's simply not true. The Plasma Desktop is not the same as three years a=
go. =

There is steady development (even if it my be slower than at the beginning =
but =

that can change). Beneath the usual optimization and fixing stuff (which ma=
y =

come mostly from the Active side atm but helps the desktop nonetheless), th=
ere =

are things which are completely different then 3 years ago. Take the =

Activities vs. ZUI thing as just one example.

> Facebook - they change stuff every 2 years or so. Now I'm not saying let's
> forget what we have and start over. Not at all. But we're quite stagnatin=
g.
> =

> And that's in my opinion, where we need the vision. Aaron's vision is
> great, but to me it sounds more like a general textbook "workspace vision=
".
> I personally think we need a more precise vision (we already do have
> organic uis, don't we?).

Maybe but that's no reason to scratch this item from a vision list. But atm =

the same time there is of course the possibility to widen or enhance the =

vision. So I'm still curious what Spain meeting and after this the Randa =

Meeting/Tokamak 6 brings:

Hint hint: http://sprints.kde.org/sprint/98 <- add yourself here.

> For example - what's our vision for integrating
> social media in the shell/Plasma? What's our vision for integrating IM? A=
nd
> so on. Sure, there are teams doing these tasks, but we should imho have a
> common vision, or goal if you wish, clearly defined by the Workspace
> leaders. Those teams then lookup to that vision and build stuff to reach
> it. To reach one great Workspace. Just like for Active - you have a vision
> of creating a touch-based interfaces (very simply speaking), so basically
> there's a vision of how you'd like Okular to behave in such environment.
> And I would like to have this precise vision for the rest of the Workspac=
e,
> not just "to have scalable interfaces".

Makes sense for me what your write here.

> Each and every team can do their own vision. But then there will be
> inconsistencies, different functionality etc. Just look at System Settings
> - common place for so many apps and yet each module looks different. And =
it
> looks bad in the final result. So I think there should be some well
> understood "lead", a way the Workspace should go. Which currently there's
> not. Or it's not well known.
> =

> My 2c on this.

Just my 2 Rappen