List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Survey to prepare 'Next Workspace Iteration' sprint
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-06-05 12:43:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday, June 4, 2012 22:49:35 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Tokamak 5 is (wrongly?) understood as the Plasma team sprint, this sprint is
> not only about plasma but instead about "How we move the workspace
> forward". It is actually closer to the Active sprint.

Tokamak, or any sprint, is what we make it.

pushing ourselves away from assumptions is half the battle, and this may be a
reasonably good place to start.

if we called it Tokamak, how many of you would, right now knowing what you
know, not attend or attend in a negatively different way?

if the answer is "nobody" then my suggestion would be to create continuity and
take the name Tokamak.

you, the attendees, can work on expanding what it means at the sprint to cover
what we want it to, what we see ourselves (all of us) as, where we want to go
and what we want to work on.

one thing about terms like "Next Workspace Iteration" -> it creates a bias as
to what will be achieved at the sprint. obviously, it's about iterating the
workspace to make something new out of it! right? well, we don't actually know
that. at the event it may come out that something very different, or a set of
different things, is needed. "next" and "iteration" are words that create a
direction before a direction can even be understood.

"workspace" is about the only word that works there, and as you note, there's
no solid agreed understanding of what that means if we sum up all of our
thoughts on the matter. (individually: yes. together? you said it yourself
that we haven't achieved that..)

that's what i love about "Tokamak". it's a fun word and it really means
nothing. we can go into each sprint with a clean sheet to tackle whatever it
is we need to at that sprint without pre-bias and with continuity between all
the meetings.

--
Aaron J. Seigo