List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: The tooltip state. Not that good. Proposal for improvement.
From:       Mark <markg85 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-29 12:07:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Marco Martin <notmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2012, Mark wrote:
>
> > > can import an object into the QML that gives access to requesting
> window
> > > previews at a certain place in the tooltip (e.g. a new QML Item called
> > > WindowPreview that is actually a C++ class which handles all the
> > > previewing goodies; the QML would just create one or more of these
> > > WindowPreview objects
> > > and ensure they are placed correctly).
> >
> > Ahh oke, i get it.
> > For the moment i can even try to use a QGraphicsProxyWidget and just send
> > WindowPreview to QML. It actually seems fairly easy to do as described
> > here:
> >
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/declarative-cppextensions-qwidgets-qwidget
> > s-cpp.html or
> > if it doesn't work i can always put a big red squared stub in it as
> > placeholder ^_-
>
> probably doesn't work since when windowpreview is a proxywidget doesn't
> have a
> read window id anymore: the window preview mechanism works by setting an
> Atom
> on the actual X11 window that asks for a preview of a particular window to
> be
> drawn at cerain coordinates by the compositor.

Then we follow the approach from this
http://get.qt.nokia.com/training/QtQuickforCppDevelopers/slides/qml-cpp-integration.pdf.
Custom painting on top of a QML item. That should certainly be possible
since you just make the WindowPreview in C++ and let it paint on a QML
item. Perhaps nasty but that probably works.

I could be a bit naive, but i don't really see an issue on getting the
preview to QML. Perhaps i still need to hit a big giant wall that stops me.
^_-