List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Next Iteration Sprint, confirmed !
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-04-26 10:51:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday, April 23, 2012 12:21:17 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Those cannot be dismissed as "technology before vision" because we already
> have identified these things as crucial to move on with our vision. Now it's

this is, imo, the crux of the matter: "our vision"

many of the people who will be attending do not know what "our" vision is. and
the intention of the meeting is to expand the definition of "us" to include
more people so that there are more hands working on plasma with enthusiasm,
and so that we can harmonize more of the individual components together.

whenever more people are brought in, assuming it is not a top-down
dictatorship (which is not what i want plasma to be :), then that vision will
in some way shift. they will bring new creativity, new perspectives .. it's
also hard to buy 100% into something that you have not had some say in. we
need to be able to share control over the definition of "what this is"; this
takes time and can not happen immediately.

there is also a responsibility on the shoulders of those who come in fresh: to
learn the existing thinking and appreciate how it was arrived at and why. they
need to be respectful of the house they are entering, realizing that this is
someone else's holy space, someone else's place of work ..

so there's a give and take ballance here.

so when we talk about "creating a vision" that's not quiiiiite perfectly
accurate.

what we need to do is generate a *shared vision*. that starts with what is
already there. we need to share that vision so we can bring together the
various individuals and communities under one banner and work effectively
alongside each other. and yes, the vision will innevitably take on new colours
and textures, reflecting those involved.

so ... let's not worry too much about what the results will be quite yet.
let's focus first on transmitting the history and vision of plasma to those who
do not know it yet, and then work building from that foundation.

--
Aaron J. Seigo