List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    GSOC 2012 project: Make plasmate ready for release
From:       Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas <terietor () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-29 12:11:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

this year I want to apply for the GSOC 2012 for the plasma project.
My idea for plasma's GSOC 2012 is to make plasmate ready for release.

So here it goes,

Problem 1
Right now plasmate doesn't support all the debugging tools which we offer.
Those debugging
tools live under kde-workspace/plasma/generic/tools.

Solution 1
a.Move all the debugging tools from kde-workspace/plasma/generic/tools and
kde-runtime/plasma/tools
into plasmate's repository(maybe we should rename the repository to Plasma
SDK)

b.make plasmate use those tools.

c.our debugging tools will still live as standalone applications and also
us plasmate's plugins.
Some of our devs doesn't like plasmate and we shouldn't force them to use
it. So having
our debugging tools both as standalone application and as plasmate's
plugins solves the issue.
Regarding the build system I can add the debugging tools and plasmate as
option in order not to
force some developer to build the entire repository.

Problem 2
Plasmate and plasmoidviewer have duplicate code.  Also plasma-previewer(the
plasmate's code
for plasmoid debugging) is more modular than the plasmoidviewer's code.
Plasma-previewer is more modular but plasmoidviewer has more features than
the plasma-previewer.

Solution 2
Replace plasma-previewer's code with plasmoidviewer's and make
plasmoidviewer's code more modular
in order to be reused by plasmate.

Also a side note here,
both plasma components for desktop and for active live with the same names.
So in order to use the
plasma components for active the developer has to change an environment
variable. Plasmoidviewer
should provide an option for that (I will add this option).

Problem 3
There is no plasma tool for us to open our svg images add see the available
layers.
Since we want to offer a nice sdk our users should be able to browse our
svgs easier.

Solution 3
Sreich's svgviewer solves the half of the problem(thank you Sreich) the
other half(there is no way to
see the available layers of each svg). I will implement this option.

Problem 3
KConfigXT editor isn't finished. There is still some code which has to
be written.

Solution 3
Finish the KConfigXT editor and also make it available as a standalone
application.
All of our debugging tools shouldn't force our developers to use plasmate.

Problem 4
Plasmate's editor doesn't support actions.(Like undo/redo,etc)

Solution 4
Make plasmate support those.

We have to add more comments/documentation into the code in order to bring
lower
the contribution barrier.

Is there someone who would like to mentor me for the specific project?

Regards,
Giorgos.

--
Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas (terietor)