List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: prep'ing the QML screenlocker for a merge into master
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-01-21 14:32:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday, January 20, 2012 15:31:52 Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?=
wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2012 15:02:39 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > * the lock screen qml is currently stored in share/apps/kscreenlocker/ ..
> > this seems ripe for file collisions in the case of multiple entries and
> > doesn't give us the possibility of making a nice KCM to select themes.
> > better would probably be to use Plasma::Package (or if we wish to not link
> > against libplasma, use Plasma::Package in the kcm and just directly open
> > the files in the appropriate directories beneath kscreenlocker; however
> > the
> > QML brings in libplasma so i don't see any benefit to not just using
> > Plasma::Package directly)
> >
> > * there is, understandably, a lot of X-isms in the code. in particular,
> > some calls to XScreenSaver and then much of the code in LockWindow. in
> > preperation for a move to Wayland, this should be encapsulated in a file
> > that can be built conditionally on the window system target.
>
> For Wayland we need a different architecture. I doubt it makes much sense to
> share anything except the QML files. So I would defer this to when we
> actually have Wayland as the underlying windowing system.

ok :)

> > * widgets on screensaver feature is broken. while the plasma-overlay
> > screen
> > does come up, you can not unlock the screen due to its tight integration
> > with the previous locker.
>
> What? That worked quite fine when I last touched the branch. Actually I
> removed all the integration bits for the old screenlocker. You are working
> on branch "screenlocker" and not on "farhad_hf/lockscreen"?

i was on branch screenlocker, but hadn't rebuilt plasma-overlay. even then,
there were some minor issues that i found i was able to trigger, though i
really need to test with a clean build of everything to be sure.

> > * there are a large number of issues in the default locker QML. a rewrite
> > is probably in order. (issues include: the frame which contains the
> > greater is the wrong size, the keyboard layout selection button is in an
> > odd place, uses things like QGraphicsLinearLayouts, the password line
> > edit does not get focus on first start, when selecting "start a new
> > session", the text and widgets are completely misplaced (not kept within
> > the greeter frame))
> it uses QGraphicsLayouts because we need to embed QWidgets. Unfortunately we
> do not get to the underlying system. If we don't want anymore the QWidgets
> we would have to rewrite the complete authentication system :-(

yes, i know. however, there are some things used in the QML that are probably
not needed / should be replaced with the components work.

> > * related to the above, blanking the screen is now left up to
> > powermanagement. fair enough. however, the defaults for powermanagement
> > for
> > systems that are plugged in tends to mean it won't happen for quite some
> > time on most systems. it feels rather innelegant to have the lock screen
> > just always showing. in the default theme, fading out at least the greater
> > UI when there is no user interaction and back in when user interaction
> > happens (independent of power management) might feel nicer.
>
> I would prefer to get this right and turn off the screen. Blanking the
> screen by painting black feels wrong to me. In fact I always thought that
> my screen turns off till I used the new locker

ah, yes, i would like to do it with turning off the screen (rather than just
painting black)

> > * the default wallpaper of the desktop theme is used when locking the
> > screen. this doesn't feel right; looking at that default paper, i expect
> > the wallpaper shown on my desktop that i've configured.
>
> This would require to pull in the complete Plasma Wallpaper stuff. And this
> becomes really difficult for things like multi screen.

nah, it's pretty easy for multiscreen. still, i do prefer the idea of a lock-
screen specific thing (perhaps something that is coordinated with the QML log
in screen too?)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se