On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Martin Gr=E4=DFlin wr= ote: > On Thursday 29 December 2011 11:21:36 Justin L. Boss wrote: > Personally I am not a big fan of having animations which would require Op= enGL > in the background. Most of the time the background is not visible, it req= uires > resources and puts load on the compositor which has to update the scene > although nothing changes (full repaints are most expensive). > > May I ask why you want to use OpenGL? Probably because QPainter is dog slow. Also, I don't think you should be against OGL wallpapers, considering some really sweet/impressive things could be done with them which could really make KDE stand out. e.g. a wallpaper playing a moving OGL scene, movies, virus wallpaper (which is currently a large CPU drain, and has no HW accel afik). Take Win 7 for instance, how they have "Dreamscene=99" or whatever. Having features like this is similar to having neat and incredibly useless OGL window animations (e.g. cube), ergo...everybody wants them, haha ;) -- = Shaun Reich, KDE Software Developer (kde.org) _______________________________________________ Plasma-devel mailing list Plasma-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel