List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-09-30 17:06:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 30 September 2011 12:38:34 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2011 22:14:59 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > * add Plasma widget support to new screen
> > locker implementation but drop screensaver support (same problems as first
> > option)
>
> +1 for this.
>
> if the lock screen is QML, when we get a QML version with OpenGL shaders
> people can go crazy creating new screensavers in all their glory.
I just had a lengthy discussion about it with my GSoC student and we came up with the \
following plan:

* for 4.8 use a hack to fall back to the legacy implementation if a screen saver is \
                configured
* advertise the new functionality in the release announcement including that you \
don't get the new super-awesome  lock screen if you use an old screensaver and that \
                the old screensavers are not secure
* advertise a new improved screen saver functionality in 4.9 based on QML with GHNS \
                integration and more
* announce that the old screen saver support will be removed in 4.9 in favor for the \
new support and because it's an  old X dependency which we need to remove in order to \
start the transition to Wayland

This gives us no pressure to implement everything now for 4.8 and we don't have \
unhappy users. In best case we  already have the new QML screen saver support in 4.8 \
and can get the community to port their screen savers to  QML. Also we give a good \
technical reason why we have to drop the screensavers.

I hope that makes everyone happy :-) (and is also the easiest way for me in 4.8 as I \
don't want to spend too much  time on screen savers).

Cheers
Martin