List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    The future of virtual desktops
From:       Hans Chen <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-24 21:34:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

It seems like the more mature activities become, the more important it is t=
distinguish them from virtual desktops. Many people feel that it's confusin=
to have two similar concepts, and although I think I understand the
differences between activities and virtual desktops quite well, I agree wit=
the complaints.

My hope is that activities will get a more prominent place in future
versions of KDE Plasma Workspaces. Now the question is, what will happen
with virtual desktops? There are people who want to get rid of
them[1]<http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php#idea93689_page1>completely,
but I can see how this suggestion is disliked. Some suggest that
virtual desktops should be disabled by
default[2]<http://hanschen.org/2011/02/04/activities-a-change-in-workflow/#=
comment-1316>
.

What I want to know is the following: Are there any plans or outlines
regarding how to proceed with virtual desktop (and activities)? Are they
documented somewhere?

If not, this thread can serve as a place for discussing this. I realize tha=
this involves the KWin people as well, but I'm not familiar with
cross-posting to mailing lists, and I know that at least Martin Gr=E4=DFlin
reads this list.

With best regards,
Hans Chen