List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma mediacenter - is it still alive?
From:       Morten A. B. Sjøgren <m_abs () mabs ! dk>
Date:       2011-02-06 21:25:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2011/2/6 Christopher Blauvelt <cblauvelt@gmail.com>

> best channel is the mailing lst here,
>> #plasma and #plasma-mediacenter irc chnnels on freenode
>> and there are a couple of people interested of getting it bck in
>> development,
>> i hope they will speak up in this thread, but anyways I'll get them in
>> contact
>> with you :)
>>

> I was looking at doing this as a GSoC.  I've actually spent my weekend
> getting a development environment ready to get started.  My goals for 0.1
> release of the project are:
>  - Develop a video widget that has composited controls and can handle full
> 1080p video well with a reasonably powered system.  What reasonably powered
> is will have to be determined.
>  - Develop a picture viewer that can show pictures while designing for
> future effects.
>  - Develop a music player that plays music.  Nothing fancy . . . yet.
>  - Develop a media browser to start playing video/music or start showing
> pictures.
>  - Develop a UI that is based on QML and QtComponent whenever practical.
>
> Notice how I'm starting with the building blocks and working my way to
> other, more complicated things.  I think one of the big problems we had last
> year (with no shots being taken at anyone) was there was a lot of excitement
> but not enough direction and we need to start with the foundation before we
> can start on the ornamental roof.
>
> My TZ is GMT-5 so if you want to get together on IRC #plasma-mediacenter
> sometime this week let me know.  I might be available today but . . . it's
> the super bowl[1] so no promises.
>
> Chris

Hey Chris,

My TZ is GMT+1, I will  try to be on IRC late tomorrow (monday) evening
around 23:00/11pm (GMT+1). My nick will be m_abs.
It can't be too late during the workdays.

Your building blocks looks like a reasonable starting point to me.
Personally the picture viewer isn't important to me, but I can see how it's
needed.

One thing I think would be a good idea is to talk about what other
mediacenter-software do well and what they do that is not so good. I've
mostly experience with XBMC, which is the system I'm using at the moment.
I know most of it will come much later after the basic building blocks are
in place, but it might give some directions.

-
Morten