List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: notifications, again :D
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-01-27 17:07:59

> From: Marco Martin

> problem is that atm there is no concept of importance in the spec
> and since all members are in the signarure of a single function call, no ways
> to add it in a compatible way.
>
> what we can do now is an ugly whitelist: this is from the powermanager, so i
> care more to see it

If it helps any, might the following interaction model handle "noisy" apps:
- provide a mechanism that allows the user to suppress the popup of notifications from any \
specific app.  Suppressed notifications would still get stored in the "stack" and would be \
                reflected by the increase in notification count number - they just wouldn't \
                popup.
- when a notification is triggered by an app whose notifications are not suppressed, only show \
that specific notification and no other part of the notification stack/history.  The \
notification count is perhaps enough to communicate that there are additional notifications \
                beyond the current one being shown.
- when the user clicks on the (i) show the all notifications in the stack/history using \
whatever grouping/scrolling/etc. strategy you come up with. (I like the app grouping idea \
myself...)

A singularly systemic determination of importance/priority will
perhaps always run into a few grey areas that inevitably conflict with
what the user holds is important.  No not all areas are grey, but the
grey areas definitely exist.

I understand that chiming into an already long running thread from the peanut gallery is \
potentially not helpful.  This is meant to be purely constructive and not meant to be "you're \
all stupid, this is the only solution".

peace and much respect,
Andrew Lake