List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: PlasMate ~ UI and other stuff
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-26 17:14:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On October 24, 2009, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> cleaner interface. Also looking at your latest screencast (I assume
> you demonstrate the very plasmoid you mentioned in your email there)
> it seems that with my design proposal you could actually bounce a
> little quicker between your code and your plasmoid.
>
> You seem to hit "ctrl+s" to save the code, then right mouse button for
> the context menu, then reload javascript animation to test it. In my
> design you only hit one keyboard shortcut ("ctrl+tab" or "ctrl+2").

i used kwrite and plasma-desktop in that screencast. plasmate wasn't used
because it can't show the code and the plasmoid at the same time. fail.

so i had to hit ctrl-s, then right click in plasma-desktop to reload. still
'fail' but better.

in plasmate, it should be a single keystroke: F5 or something similar to
trigger a reload in the viewing area which would then save the current file to
disk and reload the widget in the preview area.

so the "multiple keystrokes" argument you've constructed above is not an issue
since it wouldn't exist.

> Your code will automatically be saved, your plasmoid reloaded and the
> tab containing it will be moved under the very spot your eyes are
> right now.

this works regardless of whether you can see the preview area or not. what
makes you think that showing the preview area would somehow would make this
different?

> So far I haven't found your arguments to be very convincing, as you

that's fine; we don't have to agree at all times. though in this particular
case, you seem to be seeing issues with the idea of having an always-there
preview that just doesn't exist.

i'd encourage you to think about the benefits of being able to glance over at
what you're working on while you're working on it as a way to keep your focus
and direction. i'd also encourage you to consider the benefits of having a
non-modal interface where you can work and preview without having to deal with
a constantly changing interface and where the interface doesn't have to try
and figure out when to change to suit what you want to be doing in any given
moment.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se