List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    applet browser widget: the icon and the info
From:       L Pierre <pierrelud () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-06-29 10:09:20

See "**PLPL" below.

> [...]
> To: plasma-devel@kde.org
>
> hi ...
>
> the icon for the applet is off to a good start ... the look
> of it should
> harmonize with what is in krunner, folderview, etc. we have
> an item background
> svg ... in fact, we even have a Plasma::IconWidget that
> take care of most and
> maybe even all of the painting.
>
> the info widget is also a good start. the info button in
> there is cool too.
>
> one thing that becomes evident is that we do need that
> screenshot. this means
> some support in libplasma, i think. this screenshot will
> need to be an image
> file on disk.
>
> for widgets that come in a Plasma::Package, this is easy to
> get. for c++ ones,
> we'll need a standard location for the screenshot to live.
>
> $APPDATA/plasma/screenshots? they can be named after the
> pluginName() with a
> png suffix. we can even make this available perhaps through
>
> Plasma::Applet::package(). it would fall back to the icon
> if there is no
> screenshot available. then we just need to spend a couple
> hours screenshotting
> everything :P
>
> hm.. maybe ... i bet i could do up a little app that would
> run the applet and
> save out a screenshot for us. it could rip through all the
> c++ applets and do
> this for us. if an applet needs config, it would check
> that, wait for it to be
> configured and then save a snapshot. that way creating
> snapshots would be a
> matter of running this little app and watching it do it's
> business,
> configuring something every so often (once configured,
> though, the applet
> should retain this through to the next run :)
>
> (i can write the above for/with you, as i'm supposedly the
> maintainer of
> libplasma and i don't expect you to fix _everything_ in
> plasma as you go ;)
>
> so, does the above make sense to you? basically you'd be
> able to take a
> KPluginInfo and get out a screenshot that you can assign to
> the icon and then
> pass into the info widget. in fact, the model can provide
> access to this for
> the icon/widget.
>
> ok, so .. now the placement of the info widget is a bit
> awkward. it mostly
> works in dolphin because there's a bunch of info shown
> there and moving focus
> from a file to the info doesn't seem mentally like such a
> big deal.
>
> for the applet browser ...... not so sure :)
>
> so here's my suggestion: let's use clickable
> Plasma::ToolTips. mouse over the
> applet and you get a tooltip. want info, click on the info
> button in the
> tooltip. this will work _really_ nicely if the icon list is

**PLPL: This will be great and also if it is available for labels. If I understand \
correctly the tooltip "info" should be a string as input and displayed as a balloon \
pop-up like the tooltip gets displayed.

Example: We have a note taking app. Our note title is displayed/painted as a label. \
Hover over lablel, choose info button in tooltip which displays the note creation \
date, modification date etc. collected from Nepomuk, in our case, that was put into a \
string. Maybe also add the Eclipse like pop-up where hovering over classes/methods \
you have the option to "Press F2 for focus". Move the mouse away and all disappears.

Possible text formatting (plain and html) for this tooltip "info" text  will also be \
great, but not essential.

Hope it makes sense.