List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Suggestion request for krunner
From:       Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-30 9:44:01

Dear devs,

  I've recently made a commit to fix the inconsistent behavior of the TAB key in \
krunner; unfortunately the fix does not work as we (aseigo and I) expected on paper,  \
so I'd like to know if there are suggestions you could provide, so that we can define \
a behavior before 4.3.0

The setting:
Krunner (with the default interface) offers a handy history completion; as you start \
typing some letters, the query will be  automagically completed (in gray) based on \
your recent queries.

The problem:
There are several ways to accept the suggested (gray) query, for example clicking on \
the LineEdit, hitting the End key or the right arrow.  The issue arise when one tries \
to accept the completion with the TAB key (thinking of krunner as a miniCLI); Hitting \
TAB moves focus to the other items in the window (e.g the other matches in the list \
of results, or buttons in the krunner dialog) Unfortunately, when a LineEdit loses \
focus with some autocompleted (gray) text, the text is automatically accepted (it \
becomes all black) -- /bug or feature?/ --,  so that krunner starts a new query with \
the completed string, which may or may not be what the user wanted.  Users have grown \
accustomed to both of these behavior and a number of bug reports indeed deal with the \
ambiguity of TAB completing & moving focus at the same time:

The current solution (trunk):
If krunner shows no results AND there is some autocompleted text, hitting TAB will \
autocomplete the text and the lineEdit will not lose focus In any other circumstance, \
TAB will move focus without triggering an autocompletion.

The problem with this solution is the "shows no results" part. indeed it's \
complicated to figure out if the shown results are obsolete and soon to be discarded  \
(e.g. type su, the autocompletion suggests suspend, but su is a valid result, so add \
an 's' and hit TAB (quickly), krunner still shows some old results, so the query is \
not completed but then we are left with an empty result scene and "sus" in the \
lineedit not focused, -argh-)

We might as well make TAB not autocomplete in any case, so to avoid any inconsistency \
whatsoever, but this might be upsetting many users which already rely on this \
"feature". Before trying some magic tricks to let the current solution work properly \
(e.g. we might complete only if the scene is hidden), I'd like to ask if there are \
any  comments or suggestions for new solutions.

Thanks
  Jacopo