List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Patch to use the iplocationtools.com geolocation
From:       Andrew Coles <andrew_coles () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-04-29 22:00:46

> The nicest solution would be of course to just query iplocationtools.com with
> "my current IP whatever", but for that, iplocationtools would need some kind
> of API to extract the current IP from the HTTP request. Which it doesn't have
> as far as I can see.

If you visit iplocationtools.com, they give location data for ones IP on the first \
page of the site - so evidently, they can do it, just haven't made an API for it.  \
I've got in touch with them to ask for the API call to be made, I'll report back on \
progress with that - I can't see it being too big a deal, and they seem good at \
handling requests pretty quickly..  In terms of reliability of service, whatismyip \
may be unreliable, but one of the big advantages of iplocationtools.com is that their \
servers can handle a few thousand geolocation requests per second - so we don't need \
to worry about it dying a death as geolocation becomes widespread in KDE.  Hence, I'd \
prefer to stick to it if possible - here's hoping they can sort out the API.

In the mean time, does anyone suppose there's a chance of a 'what is my IP'.php file \
being hosted on plasma.kde org as a stop-gap measure?  I can't see it using too much \
bandwidth, and the KDE servers seem pretty damned reliable.

Andrew