List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Tool tips - again
From:       Lucas Murray <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2009-04-14 13:07:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Emdek <emdeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, are there plans for adding possibility to query KWindowSystem to check \
> if given effect is available (for example check if we are using KWin, have \
> Compositing and effect is enabled in settings etc., just check if we have all \
> needed things to use it)? Then checking if task bar previews are available (or \
> mentioned effect for showing windows) could be much cleaner I think (I've read \
> about plans to add preview of desktops to pager, so there it could be also used).

The "non-hackish" way [*] to test for support is to make KWin provide a D-Bus \
function that returns a list of all active desktop effects, then all you need to do \
is check if "taskbarthumbnails" or "highlightwindow" is listed. This of course cannot \
be done in KDE's service name domain [**] if you wanted to keep the possibility of \
compositor-independence [***] like what the current "hack" provides. This list could \
then be available in KWindowSystem I guess (Assuming if all compositors name effects \
the same [****]).

[*] Personally I find the current way better as a compositor already uses X to \
communicate with windows so using something else like D-Bus just doesn't make sense. \
We can just add more stuff to _NET_SUPPORTED if there ever becomes "standard" effects \
such as thumbnails or we can just add our own _KDE_CM_SUPPORTED otherwise. [**] \
Unless other compositors want to hijack KWin's service name... Which is not nice at \
all. [***] Compiz can write an effect that provides support for it if they want just \
be setting the required X properties, not sure if they have done it yet though. \
[****] Not that there's a lot of compositors anyway... Plasma already assumes that \
KWin is being used for a lot of things as well.

> Also way to trigger given effect could be cleaner, but it could be hard to create \
> nice and universal API for that...

And this is where things get quite complex if we go the D-Bus way.

--

Lucas Murray :: http://www.undefinedfire.com
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534