List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Signals and slots for containment show and hide actions (mainly
From:       Emdek <emdeck () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-31 16:37:55

> one thought i've had is to subclass it and provide a custom
> showPopup/hidePopup that takes the view() and positions is using
> Applet::popupPosition
>
> still wouldn't get proper context menus on the line edit, but at least
> the
> combobox would work :)

Thanks for suggestion, I'll try to look also into KHistoryComboBox sources, maybe \
I'll find something interesting here. But there is still problem with focus of \
editable fields, at least in panels when there are visible windows. I've noticed it \
also in my other plasmoid (Spell Check) that uses dialog for displaying text edit \
etc. I was trying to use something like this:

	m_textEdit->setFocus();

Maybe problem comes from Qt::NoFocus focus flag for dialog?
Or maybe Plasma can't be active window (isn't it required for giving focus for \
children?) when there are other not iconified windows? I've noticed problems that \
could come from that when I was working on task manager and I was trying to check if \
window is active.

And one small thing, I've noticed bug in example of usage Plasma::ToolTipManager in \
docs (it will work only when using methods). Is there maybe better place for \
reporting such as small bugs?

Sorry for next off topic, but these problems are so small that additional message \
only for them doesn't make much sense. ;-)

> playground is open for anyone to put whatever they are working on in
> there.
> you don't need to ask anyone permission. the only real requirement is
> that
> stuff in playground/base/plasma is plasma related and builds. :)

Ok, thanks. :-)

> look at the frame plasmoid perhaps. and maybe you could write a small
> tutorial
> on techbase with what you've found?

As far as I remember I've checked this plasmoid then (probably here I've found needed \
entries in .desktop file), also I was looking in sources of video player from \
playground. I'll check them again soon.

I could try with tutorial but then someone should review it, because as can you see \
my English is not perfect. ;-)

> these kinds of hacks become permanent very easily. it's best to not let
> them
> in at all, and we certainly can't make changes to libplasma's public api
> for
> temporary hacks as that api must remain BC and hopefully clean.

Yes, of course, it is easy to forget about them or be too lazy to fix them when it \
becomes possible (or overlook upstream changes).

> i know the feeling :)

;-)

> > there possibility to restrict (disallow placing or show warning) usage
> > of
> > applet to given type of containment / view?
>
> no, and that's purposeful. the last thing we want are objects that only
> work
> in some places, because not only is that counter to the design goal of
> "widgets that work everywhere" but as a plasmoid author you have no idea
> what
> containment might appear next. it's a way of keeping the details of the
> outside world away from plasmoids so that they aren't full of odd work
> arounds
> and limitations.

Ok, I see the point. Anyway, I think that if for example applet is not meant for use \
in panel like containments it could check formFactor() and location() and show \
warning to user etc.

> you've got some interesting ideas here that you should try experimenting
> with
> to see how they look and feel.
>
> the plasmoid approach breaches the barrier between widget, containment
> and
> view so probably isn't workable, but what you describe here should be
> doable
> all within PanelView in workspace/plasma/shells/desktop/ ...

Right, I could do some research later. I'm thinking in general about experiments with \
alternative panel (trying to add some functionality requested by users and possibly \
working on alternative configuration interface) and this could include experiments \
with manual hiding. But before that I would like to finish work on some of my \
applets.

And again about thread with suggestions for shortcuts, I need to check better current \
possibilities in 4.2 (to not suggest something that could be already achieved ;-)) \
and then I'll start new thread.