List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Aya updates (was Re: Plasma and KWin Integration)
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-02-16 17:08:55

> From: Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org>
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 17:44:14 Jamboarder wrote:
> > Let me know what you'd like to see improved in Aya and I'll work on it.
>
> I hadn't had a look at Aya in a while (I think only at what has been shipped
> with OpenSuse). I'm now running it for a bit and I think it looks much better
> already.

great!

> - I'm not totally sold one the right border, for some applets, it looks good,
> for others, it looks unrefined. It's also shown on the applet handle, making
> it look out of balance (between handle left/right) Why is this border there
> at all?

Purely an aesthetic decision in the KDE 4.1 debut of the theme.  The new applet handles for 4.2 \
introduced this imbalance when the standard background was used for the handle.  I had a local \
patch for the applet handle to use it's own background svg but I could decide if it was worth \
introducing yet another theme element... but it does tie the theme author's hands a bit when \
trying to do asymmetric backgrounds.  Still, I'm thinking about how to tweak this border for a \
future Aya release.

> - The black text doesn't give enough contrast on the folderview at the top
>
> - same goes for IconWidgets, inside the toolbox for example, also the text on
> the taskbar buttons looks unrefined

Not sure if will help but there was a post 4.2 update of the theme available in trunk and via \
GHNS that improved the focused task element.  That said, the text colors are part of the global \
color scheme and the text rendering handled by the respective applets.  Aya doesn't control \
either of these.  Perhaps the rendering of black text on lighter backgrounds could be improved \
a touch in the plasma libs/applets.  There is also an inconsistency between how the text \
shadows are handled in the folderview (center-blurred) and in the task bar (offset-blurred) \
when the text color is dark.  Aya is one of the few test cases for black text on lighter \
backgrounds - at least when the kde global color scheme is set to the Oxygen.  Try Aya with \
Obsidian Coast color scheme to see if the text problems remain.

> - The menu that pops up for grouped tasks is missing the highlights, there's
> no hover feedback for the tasks right now

I've noticed this happening for other themes as well (even Oxygen).  I don't think I've missed \
an element in the Aya theme, but I might be wrong.  I think the highlight uses the tasks.svg \
hover element, right? On a rare occasion I'll see the highlights show up correctly.  Not sure \
what's causing it though.

> Otherwise, Aya has come quite far, congrats to that!

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I'll see what I can do to address the issues you've raised. \
My mild OCD will compel Aya tweakage for the foreseable future. :-)

Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake