List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about Plasma Activities
From:       "Hans Chen" <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-13 11:38:14

2009/1/12 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>
> i don't think putting this in the Appearances Settings dialog is good: it
> isn't the right context (putting the Plasma theme there is already pushing it
> too far imho) and that dialog is already overly complex.

+1
I don't like to have Plasma themes there either, as it seems to affect
whole Plasma (and not only that activity).

> there's a "need" for global plasma settings, perhaps. theme, colours, etc.
> perhaps that is what belongs in system settings and could be offered via the
> checkerboard background when zoomed out as well.

Reintroduction of cashew in ZUI? ;)

In my opinion it makes sense to have a cashew (yeah, only one) when
zoomed out that shows the following options: <Add widgets>, <Add
activity> and <Plasma settings> (needs a better name). Maybe also
<Lock>/<Unlock widgets> and <Zoom out>.
That leaves <Zoom in>/(out?) and <Appearance settings> for the bar
underneath activities. Maybe add a <Remove activity> button to it?

I think this is more consistent with how widgets work and probably
looks less "cluttered". The cashew could be expanded by default.

By the way, I really dislike the name "Appearance settings". If Plasma
themes are moved away from that dialog, can't it be called "Activity
settings" or something like that?

Hans