List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Welcome to 4.3.
From:       "Zbigniew Braniecki" <zbigniew.braniecki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-09 20:32:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Congratulations to everyone! KDE 4.2 is amazing achievement! (I'm saying it
as a user)

Regarding plans for 4.3. I just wanted to try to refresh the idea of Virtual
Folders that were first crafted as a concept somewhere during 2004 KDE4
brainstorming.

I believe we have all foundations right now needed to work on this:
FolderView, decibel for network, nepomuk for semanthics... The idea was to
make it possible to craft a virtual view of files made by specific filters.

Basic of them are like: get me documents edited during last two weeks.
(imagine this on the working activity) or, "recently uploaded pictures" or
"documents with tag 'school' from last 6 months" etc.

but the amazing possibilities are when you connect it into your ad-hoc home
network and think of a FloderView displaying "shared" items. So when you're
in work, or home you could get a kind of Dropbox.com like solution but
without an external app. Such folderview could appear only when my laptop is
in given envirionment (work, home) and would allow me to drag&drop files
that would be accessible from other machines around. Or by other co-workers
from my work group. This way we could create a virtual team made of several
people among those in the office and easily echange files between us and
later possibly have a small chat window (Kopete + Bonjour).

Such virtual folders have a great potential and I'd love to help with those
(but my lack of experience with KDe programming makes me much better
advocate than developer ;)), but I'm not sure if that sounds like a material
for 4.3 or maybe 4.4 (give nepomuk/decibel more time?)

Just wanted to drop some food for thoughts :)
Zbigniew Braniecki