List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: kde community plasma integration
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-01-07 19:03:39

> From: Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek@kde.org>
> So what do you think about this ideas? Please post your ideas and thoughts. I
> will work on the API and the openDesktop.org integration. I hope that other
> websites join and implement this API too.
>
> So all we need are plasmoid developers to integrate this features into the
> desktop. ;-)
>
> I think together we can build something really new in innovative for KDE 4.3
>

> Cheers
> Frank

This is great stuff Frank.  Thanks for sharing them.  I'm sure this was already thought about \
but I'll offer them anyway.  I'm excited about the potential of GHNS as currently one of the \
                most visible touch points with the community, so that's where my ideas start:
- integrated rating submission
- integrated uploading of content  (e.g. It would be cool if I could extend Desktop Theme \
Details to allow the user to upload new plasma themes or theme items they create, or upload a \
                new wallpaper I created in Krita or digiKam).
- perusal by author/artist/artists-near-me/users-who-liked-this-also-like/users-near-me-also-like/etc.

- integrated fan/subscription declaration
-doing any/all of the above in a library/service layer so that getting it into the rest of the \
                app(s) (including integration with nepomuk) is trivial.
- a plasmoid showing subcribed or updated content that allows the users to directly load the \
                GHNS module for the content type selected.
- link protocol or mimetype to allow common GHNS installation of downloaded content.

Anyway, it looks like a bit of this may already be implemented on the server side API at \
OpenDesktop.org. Is that true?

One of the most valuable pieces of real community is the participatory impulse that comes from \
the blurring of the line between those who create (producers) and those who experience what's \
created (consumers).  Community, by my view, thrives on this line blurring, especially when the \
blurring is well executed.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake