List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Systray Notifications
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-11-29 18:29:16

--- On Sat, 11/29/08, Rob Scheepmaker <r.scheepmaker@student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> From: Rob Scheepmaker <r.scheepmaker@student.utwente.nl>
> ... I don't
> think that there's much else
> we can do about this (except grouping for 4.3). If you have
> any suggestions,
> please tell. :)
>
> Regards,
> Rob

How about having a max number of notifications shown at the same time?  It could show, for \
example, the latest 3 (or whatever max number) unexpired notifications and all unexpired \
notifications could be available upon click of the systray notifications icon.  This max number \
*could* be configurable (hidden for 4.2, UI for 4.3).

The work on the notifications framework is awesome.  Since we're consolidating the different \
types of notifications into this framework, we could perhaps look at the use cases for the \
different types of notifications we're consolidating and decide behavior based on that.  I \
imagine many KDE apps have been using jobs the way they have because the impact used to be a \
minimal: job windows that remained open as long as the job was active - small jobs disappeared \
before notice.  Apps used popups for other reasons.

I don't suppose there's a way to tell which of these notifications used to appear as windows, \
which appeared in popups, etc.? If there is, then perhaps we could replicate the persistence \
behavior of those notifications to match what they did before (e.g. disappear/expire when \
complete for jobs that used to appear as windows, expire after some seconds for notifications \
that used to appear as passive popups, persist indefinitely for notifications that require \
interaction, etc).

Hope this helps,
Andrew Lake