List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: playground/base/plasma/applets/systray-refactor/protocols/plasmoid
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-22 18:02:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 20 September 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > The applets should also be told about the formfactor by the systray
> > > applet
> > >
> >  > (I think horizontal makes sense in almost all cases).
> >
> > This will require SystemTray::Task to return something other than a
> > QGraphicsWidget* as the design intentionally allows a Task to be
> > displayed in several trays and each may have a different orientation.

... this won't work for all Protocols. eventually, all Protocols will be nice
in this way, but ... not all will. in any case, you can't have a
QGraphicsWiget* in more than one place on screen without manipulating it's
painting behind the scenes, but then you'll lose when you different layouts
anyways.

so if the goal is to have the same Task in multiple places on screen, you'll
need to do something a bit different.

personally, i think it makes more sense to have each tray simply have it's own
collection of Tasks and rely on the protocol to support multiplexing (e.g. in
an IPC based protocol, each Task would draw off of the same information; in a
plasmoid based protocol, each Task would draw off the same list of applets and
perhaps even the same configuraton objects for them) .. support in the Protocol
is required anyways to make this work, so just leave it up to the Protocol in
the first place would be my thought.

> Then we should have different applets displaying -- applets are meant to be
> this visualisation. The applet decides based on size and formfactor how to
> display.

right

--
Aaron J. Seigo