2008/9/11 Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org>
On Wednesday 10 September 2008 23:12:30 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Checkboxes are much easier and intuitive for making multiple selections
> than the current selection method.  As it is, theres no way to know you can
> make multiple selections.  Checkboxes provide that "multi" affordance.

There are quite a lot of timezones (both in the "available" list, and possibly
in the "default" list. I can imagine checkboxes next to the KTimeZoneWidget
(the central one listing all timezones), but it would look odd to my (in my
imagination, of course).

Personally I don't think checkboxes in a list look too odd, see iTunes for example. I agree with Celeste that it's more intuitive to use checkboxes. But that doesn't belong to this topic, so I won't discuss it further.

As for the combobox, my first thought when I saw the picture was to put it on top. However, I see a problem with this approach: it feels reversed somehow. I think there is  a high possibility that users fail to see the connection "Select a timezone in KTimeZoneWidget" -> "Another item pops up in combobox". This is much clearer in the first picture in my opinion (first select the desired timezones, then choose the default one).

With that said, I still agree with Aaron's argument.