2008/7/31 Aaron J. Seigo : > On Thursday 31 July 2008, Luiz Felipe Talvik wrote: >> http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/screenshot4.png >> http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/screenshot5.png > in this one, documents is on the first tab. i have to say that i much prefer > the look in #4, even if it would mean adding a scrollbar... hm. I'll have to disagree on that. If I changed the rule to prefer one section per column, there would be situation in which both looks and usability would be worse: -Current (doesn't look so good, but more practical): http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/current1.png http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/current2.png -Your suggestion: http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/possible1.png http://www.comp.ufscar.br/~talvik/kickoff/possible2.png > and again here, i wonder if it would look better with Sessions and System in > separate columns? i suppose that means an even strong bias towards headings in > their own columns, like in shot 9: > I had doubts in this one too. Vertical setup looks better when vert>horizontal, and vice versa. I based this rule, on your previous email about easier vertical scanning. > > something that occured to me while looking at this is that the right aligned > headers only really "work" visually if there is a single column. in multi- > column, i bet they'd look a lot nicer centered (and in single column, they > probably look nicer right aligned) > Agreed > > you should be able to just set the width on the item, and have the item itself > (or, rather, the delegate .. most of that code is in libs/plasma/delegate.* > these days) handle squeezing it's painting in properly. Thank you, Plasma > as for determining the width, QFontMetrics can tell you the width of a > character, so something like: > > QFontMetrics fm(font()); > int maxWidth = fm.width('m') * maxNumberOfCharacters; You've spared a newbie a lot of time. Thanks Current set of rules: -only use the needed number of columns when fits or when doesn't the max possible -fill up vertically first -when doesn't fit, balance number of item in the columns -if a section doesn't fit in the current column and it fits as whole in the next columns it is moved -if a section header is the last item it is moved to the next column Can you think of ways to improve it? _______________________________________________ Plasma-devel mailing list Plasma-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel