List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-04-19 16:49:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> i think 81 is a bit much. Nuno tends to go for the moon on these things, which
> is good as it keeps stretching us, but we also need to provide some breaks
> for him sometimes ;) 9 items per edge is 36 ... forget shadows, etc. 36 is
> still large, but the strategy is:

> we support simpler themes with fewer elements in them by falling back,
> allowing those who care to to create complex themes full of elements and
> those who don't to create simpler themes with minimal numbers of elements.

I didn't get the 81element count either.  I agree here.  Not every theme must use \
four different panel rendering for the different corners.  The complexity is there \
for those who desire it.   Perhaps what may be helpful is to update techbase more \
help more easily identify simple versus more complex theming facilities.  I'm happy \
to help with that.

> > - more and more prefixes
>
> this is due, at least in part, to the oddness of trying to get geometry
> perfect. i honestly haven't seen the need for all of this and am somewhat
> relying on the artists to give decent direction.

If my input counts for anything: Preserve the ability to create simple themes, \
easily, while providing a framework for those who want to build more complex themes.

> > And still, there is so much that can not be done with this ever-growing
> > implementation of themes.
>
> what in particular are you considering?

I don't expect Plasma theming to be Inkscape.  There will be limitations no matter \
how complex a framework we come up with.  I'm far from convinced that we've exhausted \
the current mechanism.  If all we had was svgpanel theming, we would not have even \
exhausted even that.  The vast dificiency right now has more to do with artwork not \
framework.  Of course there are limitations (combined gradient and tiling comes to \
mind).  But I'm far from convinced that we've exhausted what can be done artistically \
within the current limitations yet.  This is not strictly an argument against \
expanding the framework (since i'm guilty of advocating such expansion), just a \
reminder for the sake of prudence.

As for coding, I sincerely hope we do not make it a requirement for theme authoring.

peace,
Andrew Lake