List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)
From:       Ivan =?utf-8?q?=C4=8Cuki=C4=87?= <ivan.cukic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-19 13:28:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> an "API review" of these would indeed be nice. not critical, per say, but
> would a decent use of time imho.
It's a bit late for this since it would break existing themes...

> > And still, there is so much that can not be done with this ever-growing
> > implementation of themes.
>
> what in particular are you considering?
 * For example, consider the Silicon and Shelf themes. If the widgets are
rotated, those themes just look weird. The reflections in Silicon and the
shelves in Shelf should always be down. It can not be done now.
 * there is no possibility to create a real reflection.
 * blurring the background below the widget (brushed glass effect)
 * the shelves can not have a common vanishing point and look weird
 * the background glossiness (look at the theme named Blue) stretches with
the background and looks ugly. No way to make it fixed size. (to combine
stretched, tiled and fixed elements in one background)
 * I like the panels to be dark when the desktop is shown, but I would like
them to become lighter when there is a window maximized - to fit the
surroundings. (making the room look bigger by placing mirrors on walls effect)
 * themes could adapt to the wallpaper (even to adapt widget background with
regard to color of the wallpaper that is below the widget)
 * and probably the most requested thing, the plasma widgets can not look
like the window widgets (i have no problem with this, but others ... khm, khm
Lubos khm... khm... seem to ;) )

> suggestions?
>
> i'm completely against going for anything that requires writing code

I know :) I am against it too, but it is the only way that comes to my mind.
We could have a couple default engines so that for most cases people do not
need to code anything - for example, one engine could implement the current
plasma's behaviour etc.

It would allow us to break back-compatibility in a sense - when we decide
that we should rethink the SVG elements for example.

> because that locks out virtually all designers. if we're edging towards
> ever greater complexity so that we will find ourselves in a very awkward
> situation down the line, then the artists need to stop themselves, sit down
> and FORCE themselves to answer hard questions with good answers.

I agree with you on this one, but it is hard to imagine what will people
try to do. For example, the mentioned Shelf theme - if I haven't seen the
theme, the idea to have shelves would never occur to me... and it's cool.

--
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough
people to make it worth the effort