List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Plasma Themes Contest writeup
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-03-18 23:10:03

Below is a writeup for the Plasma Theme Contest we conversed about earlier on the panel-devel \
list.  Ivan, I wasn't sure if you had already done one, so here's something to work with if you \
have.  Feel free to make corrections as necessary.  If there's no objection to Sebastian's \
suggestion to post the contest announcement on the dot, I think that would work well.

Before that though, at least a couple items remain:
1. Where and how will we collect the submissions?
2. Are the dates provided below for submission deadlines, etc. appropriate?

Hope this helps,
Andrew Lake

=========================
Announcement:
Plasma Themes Contest

The KDE Plasma team invites everyone to participate in a contest to create Plasma themes from \
which a select few will be chosen to include as part of the KDE 4.1 release. This is a great \
opportunity to contribute to a very visible component of the KDE project - the Plasma desktop.  \

A great new feature of plasma is the ability to theme components of the desktop using Scalable \
Vector Graphics (SVGs).  This means there is no need for theme authors to know C++ or any other \
programming language to create a great looking theme.  They need only use common graphics tools \
many are already familiar with (e.g.Krita, Inkscape, The GIMP, Karbon, etc.).  Depending on \
your prowess with such tools, great looking plasma themes can be created in as little as an \
hour.  A quick guide to creating Plasma themes can be found here: \
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Development/Tutorials/Plasma/Theme

Rules:
1.  Submissions will be accepted as a tar.gz file of the theme folder.
2.  Submissions must be made on before 9th April, 2008 18:00 UTC to be considered.
3.  Winners will be announced by 18th April, 2008.
4.  All artwork must be original or otherwise meet the requirements for distribution as part of \
a GPL licensed project.

Contestants not selected should feel free to make their themes available to the community (via \
KDE-Look or similar websites).