List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] kickoff delegate painting
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-01 4:27:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > so i noticed =) i bet we could even get away with something even simpler,
> > like a straight port of the old kmenu code
>
> The K-Menu based UI I posted requires only ~300 lines of code for the
> actual menu front end, I don't think a port of the K-Menu code would
> be any simpler.  If it was to go in extragear then you could simply
> svn extern the code for the Kickoff core from trunk/KDE/kdebase

the majority of code in the current kmenu (~1200LOC) is mostly for:

- context menus
- drag and drop support
- panelmenus (those things that extended the menu via plugins)
- lock/logout/new session support
- acreted features like "highlight an item in the menu via dcop"
- things necessary in Qt3 no longer needed in Qt4

the last two items are probably not necessary anymore, and the panelmenus
thing may well be fillable by other means if still needed (e.g. plasmoids or
runners).

context menus we have in kickoff, though they are simpler than what we had.
d'n'd isn't implemented yet ...

the actual kmenu code, though, is a couple hundred lines and very simple. i'm
fine with going the simple-kickoff route simply because its ... easy to get
there from here. it will need lock/logout/new session added by default. the
rest of the features can be added by those who use it =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se