List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] kickoff delegate painting
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-31 16:41:47

> p.s. do you still have that "traditional" kmenu kick around on your hard disk
> somewhere?

Yes I do.  I have committed it to a separate branch in svn:

https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kickoff-simple-menu

I would like development in trunk to focus on getting the Kickoff
standard UI and core working as well as possible.  I wrote the
QMenu-based item view mainly because it was something interesting to
do one evening.  If there are users who have grown up with the old
Win95-esque menu and do not wish to use something different then that
is a legitimate reason for including such a menu in KDE 4.0.  Fixable
technical or aesthetic implementation problems with the standard
Kickoff UI (performance, appearance, technical bugs, usability bugs)
are not good reasons.

Every menu choice that we make available incurs maintenance overhead.
Therefore I am opposed to including the QMenu-based menu view "in the
box" unless another developer is prepared to write a small test suite
for it.

Regards,
Robert.