On 8/30/07, Kevin Ottens wrote: > > Le mercredi 29 août 2007, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit : > > i've never really liked kdeaddons, either. so here's my proposal: > > > > - we keep the set of items in kdebase/workspace/plasma *minimal*. these > > should be core functionality items only. i'd like to have an irc meeting > in > > 2 weeks time to settle on which those will be. > > Sounds fair, you know that I'd like to see kdebase minimal anyway, > providing > the basic desktop features, so I'm clearly biased here. > > > - we create extragear/plasma/ with subdirs for dataengines/, runners/, > > applets/, plasmoids/, scriptengines/ and possibly animators/ (if any new > > ones appear =). people move their own work as they want into > > extragear/plasma/. plasmoids/ would house non-c++ packages. we will > cover > > which items to move over now at that irc meeting. > > > > - we create a place for sample applets; perhaps in extragear as well? > e.g. > > extragear/plasma/samples/ with all the subdirs under there? i don't want > to > > lose all the samples; i think they are valuable and should be > maintained. > > they shouldn't be installed, or shipped, by default but be there for > > documentary and educational purposes. > > Maybe it's better to keep them along the plasma libraries then? As a > developer > I like to find the examples with the code of the library I'm about to use > (phonon and solid follow this pattern). > > > - there will be *no* plasma stuff in kdeaddons. this could be seen as my > > desire to kill kdeaddons outright, which would be accurate. ;) > > > > then releases will happen like this: > > > > - everything gets released with each KDE release, extragear included > > w00t! > > > - we do a source only snapshot release of plasma itself for our more > > devoted testers one a month. this is assuming KDE itself doesn't get > into > > this game so we don't have to. > > Hmmm, reminds me something... :-p > > > but even if KDE as a whole doesn't do > > periodic snapshots, i want to for plasma. maybe plasma could serve as a > > test case here for the rest of KDE if need be > > Looks fair. > > > - we do a snapshot release of extragear every 2 weeks, hopefully as > proper > > releases including binaries for as many platforms as possible. we need > to > > look into availability of services such as OpenSUSE's build system as i > > really don't want to set up and maintain a network of systems ourselves > =) > > I'm not sure about the 2 weeks thing, at this rate (and because of our > current > organisation where we definitely don't branch enough) you'll end up > snapshoting non building or broken stuff. > > Actually, the 1 month snapshot rate we discussed a while ago was my > pessimistic view because of our current way of working. If we had a SCM > that > allows us to branch more (means cheap branching, fast switching, both way > merges that don't kill the history) then push changes in the main when > ready > I'd push to two weeks even for KDE itself. > > > what this means is that we can get people trying out new addons all the > > time and keep the GHNS2 constantly repo fresh. it also means that kde > > releases are full of all the plasma goodies up to that point in time. > > hooray. > > With regular snapshots like this you probably want to be able to separate > the "stable build", from the "snapshot builds" when the user retrieves the > stuff. Does GHNS2 provide this kind of information? (I'm really clueless > regarding GHNS2 features) > > > proposed irc meeting day: saturday sept 8th. please rsvp =) > > Right, any time during the day? or you envision a 24h meeting? ;-) What, something wrong with that? Where are your hardcore feelings? (sorry, but I couldn't resist. Usually, this is Wade's job, I know... Sorry to step on your toes, W!) Regards. >