List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] dataengines and timing revisited
From:       Alex Merry <huntedhacker () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-08-30 9:54:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 30 Aug 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> remaining caveats: the clock has an interesting problem where it
> really wants to pin the ticks to clock ticks, especially for the
> minutes-only ... i have yet to figure out how to arrange that.
> without it, it is possible for the ticks to drift dramatically so
> that the time is up 59s out. maybe it's just me, but that would suck
> =) if someone provides a clock that just shows the hour, that could
> be even worse. then again, perhaps the clock, as a special case, just
> continues to manage its own update ticks.

My first thought would be for the data source to update internally every
half-second.  Applets could request updates at 1s, 1min, 1h, 1d, etc.
intervals (round the setUpdateFrequency value up?), and those would be
passed when the second, minute or hour (respectively) changes.

When the shortest requested update frequency every minute or hour, you
could even possibly do some complicated optimisations where it, for
example, put a timer (ie: slept) for 58s, then checked the time every
half-second until it changed and then push out the update and put the
timer back on.

Of course, this might not be possible or have a ton of issues I haven't
spotted - I'm still quite green, and I'm currently a month out of date
on plasma architecture.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org