List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    [Panel-devel] Coherency issue
From:       "Zbigniew Braniecki" <zbigniew.braniecki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-18 23:37:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On OSNews there is a new article about KDE -
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14927 .

I just want to say that I have exactly same feeling and in Aaron's blog post
comments I summarized it as:

"Also, the very big problem with such model is total modularization which is
sooooo visible in KDE3. Every part lives on it's own, because there's no
common vision of how KDE desktop should looks like - there's a set of pieces
that were ready when KDE was released, so they were checked in. It makes bad
to consistency, reusability, and usability itself."
(http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7615673&postID=114537056816755856)

I may assume that we all know about this problem, but Aaron's response was:

"kde is a meta-project: we are made up of dozens if not hundreds of discreet
projects. each project discusses and maintains its own feature set and goals
with things that affect everyone discussed on kde-core-devel. these things
may be recorded on wikis or just left in the email archives.
the important thing is that each development team knows where it is going.
and through discussions between the various teams, we tend to coordinate our
individual visions."

I'm not as smart as the author of that article, I didn't find the word
Coherent, but it matches perfect together with "consistency" what I see as a
problem. And Aaron confirmed this with his "kde is a meta-project: we are
made of dozen (...) projects". This model may be very vibrant, but I don't
think it serves well to the end-user experience.

I just hope such articles like this one will be the signal. Exactly the same
arguments were reported on all KDE4 Brainstorm forums, and I gathered them
(including the GiveUpTheKNamingScheme, and ServeOneAppOfEachKindPlease) on
my wiki. It would be a very sad day for me if KDE would ignore this in it's
4th release.

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki