List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] The ALI: do we really need or want it?
From:       Chris <chris () thunderhead ! net>
Date:       2006-01-25 21:29:24

I seem to have either mis-spoke or simply did not make myself clear.
Sorry.  The point that I meant to get across was that there seemed to be
a consensus on the list that a content menu was important and useful.
As well, people seemed to agree that we couldn't quit yet get rid of a
menu for launching applications.  This was, of course, just my
impression from reading the list archives.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you wanted to get rid
of the file manager.  I was simply trying to say that one is still
needed/wanted.

>> Why dictate to the user where he can put his files and where he can not
>> put them?  Isn't it about user choice?  I really don't think we need a
>> system wide My Music or My Pictures.

> Where exactly am I "dictating" anything? I said that the user could have a
> directory for his media somewhere in root-menu. As in, he decided to create
> such a setup. I did NOT say that "we should have this kind of directory!", I
> meant that the user _could_ have set up his system so that there is one
> system-wide "My Music" and "My Pictures". If the user wants to have something
> like that, do you want to deny him that possibility?

I am sorry about the misunderstanding.  I guess I just misread your
email.  An easy way to create a central, shared, folder for any kind of
content does sound like a good idea.

> I'm not an artists, so I lack the skills to create such mock ups, sorry. And
> you keep on talking about accessing files. This is not about files, this is
> about content.

As for the mock up, I was just interested in seeing how you view such a
system working.  That is all.  The reason I keep talking about files,
however, is that this thread seemed to be a discussion of whether the
ALI should still be used or whether we should move over to a content
based menu instead.  My aim was to show that files are still important
to people and that both a content, and file based menu system should be
available.

I do have one other remark as to the design of a content menu system.
If I understand things correctly we are trying to find a good way to
display a large amount of 'content' (music, contacts, and such) on a
k-menu like button.  I agree that filters are the key.  Easy to
configure and powerful filters would help out a lot.  Someone did
mention Amarok's filtering system which does an excellent job.  My
question is this: at what point would the content browsing menu become
an application instead of a menu?  Just food for though.  Still like the
content menu idea.

Chris Wailes

P.S. Sorry it took me so long to respond.