List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] kicker is a mess
From:       Wade Olson <wadejolson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-03 14:24:03

Leave it to the non-KDE-coder to answer first.

Before people chime in and dismiss UML for not being the holy grail or
that UML is the best thing ever, let me ask this:  does it make the
situation better?

And from that perspective, I'd answer definitely.  Since I'm not on
any dev lists, maybe this is done all the time, or has been shot down
242 times.  But I'd rather speculate, than actually read those lists'
archives :).

To me, UML diagrams allow for both better introductions to new
participants, as well as helps more experienced people to refine the
code.  How many times have you fumbled around in a database, only to
look at an ERD and find the answer that much sooner?  OR tried to
design a new database without modeling it?  If you tried to pitch to a
DBA team that you've successfully modeled something complex in 3rd/4th
normal form without an ERD, they'd find you pretty funny.  Same with
class diagrams, sequence diagrams, etc.

So conclusion: I welcome the addition, and agree with you that it'd
certainly help new nembers (which Plasma has no shortage of).

Now, the question is: what's public and what's not.  All Plasma
information doesn't need to be posted on the net with blink tags for
everyone to see.