List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] Systray (was Re: Drag'n'drop everything)
From:       Matt Broadstone <mbroadst () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-18 1:28:20

On 8/17/05, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 10:49, Vince Negri wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 16 August 2005 09:55, Georges A.K. wrote:
> > traditional systray as to eliminate culture shock. The user, though,
> > could take the mini-interface area and put it somewhere else on the
> > screen if he/she wished.
>
> i'm still looking for a compelling reason for this sort of arrange-ability
> other than "because we can".

I'm not wholly against this, I wouldn't mind being able to my systray
in somewhere I personally feel is more visible, or attention grabbing.
Also, I'm not sure if we've agreed to this or not, but I'm pretty sure
the systray _has_ to be a special case container for some applets
(maybe SystrayItem which subclasses an Applet?) this would provide
your arrange-ability as well as support for extenders. That last point
is what got me thinking about this, as I sat here reading and slowly
realizing all my work on the xembed stuff was going down the tube, the
extenders could be tagged to the xembed item but applets provide so
much more power. Of course, this leads us to the problem I think we're
headed towards and that is: what ISN'T an applet? whoa, trippy.