On Monday 11 September 2006 16:24, Martijn Klingens wrote: > On Sunday 10 September 2006 15:43, Lubos Lunak wrote: > > I finally found some time to put together something that I had > > measured already quite a while ago. And I think the results are > > interesting. But before I post this somewhere publically I'd appreciate > > if somebody could at least quickly check it. I'd hate to see this > > trashed by people just because of some silly stupid mistake that I've > > managed to overlook. It still needs some final polishing but otherwise > > I right now consider it complete, so in case you see something wrong, > > missing or not clear with it, please tell me. > > Very interesting read! > > Some notes: > > * The two sentences "All basic tests that follow are measured against > this number unless explicitly stated otherwise" are easily overlooked, > especially the second one where you switch reference platform. Perhaps > use CAPS and/or put them between *** asterisks *** ? > > * For the WindowMaker editor, like Alex said, xemacs, or gvim compiled > against xlib (the 'g' in gvim is not 'gtk', but 'gui', and it doesn't > require Gtk). For the file manager, indeed Midnight Commander like Alex > mentioned. I'm not sure about xemacs, but I can't see the point in using gvim over vim in an xterm. Should not change much, anyway. However, you are likely to be wrong about gvim not using gtk -- gvim is very likely to use gtk+, in most distributions -- I'm not even sure other toolkits are maintained. > > * The alignment of the numbers in several tables seems broken, even with > a fixed font. You may want to look at this. > > * Isn't a more realistic setup to use the KMix application rather than > the applet? The applet might need less memory, but eats way too much > screen space and is way too complex for people who only need a simple > volume control, so I guess it's out for most people. AFAIK the default is > the systray app, so replacing it with the applet is a bit of tweaking for > the happy few who know about it. (Read: this sounds like cheating.) > > * Be careful with the sentence "Interestingly enough using Epiphany in > KDE needs more memory than Firefox" -- so does using Konqueror in GNOME. > In general it's expensive to use apps from the 'other' desktop, > regardless of which desktop is the host and which is the guest > > * While KOffice is certainly a lot less resource hungry it is also not > capable enough yet for most people. Judging by KOffice's pace of > development it's a good look at the future, but not something you should > stress right now in your conclusion. KDE + OOo is still 30 Mb lighter > than GNOME and only 20 Mb heavier than Xfce and much more realistic. > Well, looking at the case of a simple document (say a letter), kword is ok, and much lighter. I wouldn't use either for "complex" documents anyway. > Apart from this, thanks for the hard work! -- ./.. ../ /./. .. ./ /. /// // /// /. / ./ /. ./ ./. /// ././. // \\ // www.cirulla.net \x/ _______________________________________________ Kde-optimize mailing list Kde-optimize@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-optimize