List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: option to disable kbuildsycoca check during kdeinit startup
From:       Karl Vogel <karl.vogel () seagha ! com>
Date:       2004-09-24 7:46:12

Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote in
news:200409231854.44347.l.lunak@suse.cz:

>  Which shows it's not that big improvement. The most expensive thing
>  seems to
> be actually getting all the other stuff from the HDD (libraries,
> whatever). Note however that benchmarking anything with cold caches
> gives rather varying results, so the numbers are hardly exact.

Maybe it's the SuSE patch to the ELF loader that is getting in the way
here. (ie. the MADV_WILLNEED madvise() on the exe's that causes them to be
completely paged in at startup) ?!

This helps if you run a few KDE apps, since then most of the code is
already in memory.. but if you only want to run 1 app, loading all the lib
code is probably overkill.

BTW: you can look at the I/O patterns by setting /proc/sys/vm/block_dump to
1. Then each physical disk I/O will be logged to the kernel log.