List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: turning off KDE malloc by default
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-09-20 17:43:36

On Monday 20 of September 2004 19:15, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 17:40 CET Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I repeated my measure-malloc-performance-in-real-world[*] benchmark with
> > glibc-2.3.3-based SUSE 9.1 with and without the fast malloc in kdecore
> > enabled, and I couldn't notice any difference. Therefore I'd like to
> > change the default for --enable-fast-malloc to be --enable-fast-malloc=no
> >[...]
> >
> >  Flames ... erm, I mean, comments?
>
> Isn't the system's malloc() used even if KDE was compiled with
> --enable-fast-malloc as long as the environment variable KDE_MALLOC is not
> set to "1"?  At least that's what [1] suggests...

 There's --enable-fast-malloc=yes and --enable-fast-malloc=full, the variable
only applies to the first one. The logic selecting which one is the default
these days is a bit complicated, basically on Linux it defaults to =yes, on
e.g. BSD to =full. Moreover, with =yes the system malloc is only used if
$KDE_MALLOC is 0 (or N or n), so the page is wrong. Also, with $KDE_MALLOC=0
there's of course still the (very small?) cost of branching and one more
function call.

 But the reasons I'd like to turn it off are rather the technical ones.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer