List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: Using madvise for ld.so
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-03-17 19:46:34

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 20:39, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> I once heard that some tools use the trick of accessing files in
> inode-number order. I'm not aware how you can retrieve the inode (like for
> stat order) without stat'ing though..

Isn't this what e.g. 'ls -f' does? It outputs the dir listing without sorting,
which to me sounds like using inode order.

I once had to list a folder with 200.000 (!) files at work on a Windows box,
and smbmounting the volume from Linux and using 'ls -f' was one of the few
approaches that worked on that ridiculously large folder.

--
Martijn