List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: comments on KDE performance tips
From:       Stefan Heimers <stefan () heimers ! ch>
Date:       2003-01-13 15:25:40

Am Montag, 13. Januar 2003 14.34 schrieb Philippe FREMY:

> - if I upgrade only one part of my hardware, which part will make KDE
> faster ? More memory ?

If you have less than 96MB, definitely upgrade RAM first. If you have
more than 192MB, it should be enough, better spend your money on
something else.

> Quicker CPU ? Quicker hard disk ?

A quicker hd makes programs load faster, a quicker cpu makes the user
interface snappier AND load programs faster (especially C++ ones, which
is the case for KDE).

See if your cpu load is very high during KDE login. If yes, upgrade your
cpu, else upgrade your hd.

Also prefer a cpu upgrade if you do a lot of video/audio compression or
number crunching with your machine.

> quicker
> graphic card ?

Only if you use video or 3D games.