List:       kde-nonlinux
Subject:    [Kde-nonlinux] KDE 1.1.2 on HP-UX probs
From:       Gerhard Hippmann <Gerhard.Hippmann () dlr ! de>
Date:       2002-07-24 8:04:56

Hi,

I hope this is not too off/old-topic...

I still use KDE 1.1.2 under HP-UX 11.00 since there is no newer stable
release. After installation of the GDM login manager and upgrading to
bash 2.05.0(1) there are two problems:

1. I cannot close xterms using exit or the window closing button. They
just hang:
 > hippie@wespe: ~/ > exit
 > exit
The only way to get rid of them is kill.

2. After working some time I cannot start new processes anymore:
 > hippie@wespe: /opt/ > ls
 > bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
The process list consists of many <defunct> processes:
 > hippie 25075 25044 11 09:46:20 ?         0:00 <defunct>
After login-logout they are gone and the same procedure starts again.

Before using GDM I had started KDE by startx from the login shell. Now I
use the file /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/Sessions/KDE:
 > #!/bin/sh
 > export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde
 > export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
 > export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
 > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib
 > exec startkde

Any hints?
  HippiE