List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Multimedia Planning for KDE3
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () witch ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2001-08-25 19:56:29

It might be a good reminder to people from 3 weeks ago..

3 Weeks ago I suggested to implement ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net)
for the following reasons:

1. No multiple codecs to mess with - only 1 which does all the job.
2. Lots of formats are suppoted out-of-the-box without any wine or winelib
part nor DLL's.

Formats supported:

File formats:   Encoding: mp2 ac3 mpeg mpegvideo h263 rm asf avi mpjpeg jpeg
swf wav pcm rawvideo ffm pgm ppm pgmyuv .Y.U.V pgmpipe pgmyuvpipe ppmpipe

Decoding: mp2 mpeg mpegvideo h263 rm asf avi swf wav pcm rawvideo ffm pgm ppm
pgmyuv .Y.U.V pgmpipe pgmyuvpipe ppmpipe Codecs:   Encoders: ac3 mp2
mpeg1video h263 h263p rv10 mjpeg opendivx msmpeg4 pcm rawvideo

Decoders: pcm rawvideo h263 opendivx msmpeg4 mpegvideo h263i rv10 mjpeg
mpegaudio ac3

Supported file protocols: file: pipe: audio: video: udp: http:
Frame size abbreviations: sqcif qcif cif 4cif
Motion estimation methods: zero(fastest) full(slowest) log(default) phods

3. Portability - from what I heard from people - it runs under AIX, Solaris
and SGI (heard that on IRC), so since we don't need any DLL's - non X86
people can finally play DivX movies and other formats.

4. Encoding - ffmpeg allows you to encode live video & audio with very good
results - a core support for that feature in KDE could take KDE huge step
forward (thing about it - finally letting an end user to record his TV
programs without being a linux guru).

5. Conversion - ffmpeg lets you convert from one format to another (here is a
weird one - SWF to MPEG-1)..

6.Legality - done in France, so no DMCA stuff, no DLL's, no patents on this
"codec" - so I don't see any problem with it.

7. Development - all the main developers for projects like Mplayer, Xine,
AviPlay and others..

Thanks,
--
Hetz Ben Hamo