List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Using MCOP for Qt Accessibility
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-07-27 8:44:31

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:58:58AM -0700, JP S-C wrote:
>When I say "making Qt/KDE accessible" I refer to making  certain types
>of information contained in GUI's built in Qt easily available outside
>to outside applications.   This type of information includes (but is not
>limited to) the name, placement, type, state, and properties of a widget
>and its relation to other widgets in the application.  Once this sort of
>information can be easily obtained from external processes it will be
>possible to write a Qt/KDE screen reader (or preferably a Qt module for
>a multi-toolkit X windows screen reader, magnifiers, or a piece of
>software that outputs information contained in Qt apps to Braille
>terminals.

QT 3 will have a new Component Modell which should allow to
access these information.

From the announce page of qt3.0

New Component model
  Qt 3.0 will provide a platform-independent API
  for runtime loading of shared libraries and accessing
  of their functionality using a COM-like interface concept.

Accessibility Support
  Qt controls provide information for accessibility architectures,
  so that visual- or mobile-impaired
  people can use applications written in Qt
  with the standard tools provided (e.g. the Windows
  Magnifier and Narrator).

Martin