List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: konqueror & plugins using aRts
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-06-23 22:03:35

Never mind my last mail... I missed something, obviously. :-)

On Saturday 23 June 2001 09:59 am, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> Now kaboodle and the konqueror sound preview each individually create a
> new Arts::Dispatcher on startup, so if you run both of them there will
> be a crash (due to an assertion that fails). You can also crash
> konqueror by starting kaboodle on some file, using file -> new window,
> and starting kaboodle on another file.

Amazing that this is the first time I've heard this.  More people must use
standalone Kaboodle than I thought.

> I am currently not quite sure whats the best way to fix this (are there
> any comparable cases in other KDE code?).
>
> - a new Arts::Dispatcher::Instance class which keeps a count how many
> instances are there, and creates/destroys the "real" dispatcher if the
> last instance gets created/destroyed?

One can add a static self() method for getting a pointer to one global
instance, which is created on the first access to self().  Isn't adding a
static member and method BC?

For this, is reference counting really needed?  Just create one and move
on.  Is there ever a need to delete them and create new ones later?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.