List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    aRts branch
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-06-17 15:40:49

   Hi!

I have created a second branch for new developments in aRts today. It was
more or less the only way to deal with the following two conflicting goals:

 * KDE is in feature-freeze currently

 * there is a talk held by Jan Wuerthner and me about aRts/Brahms at
   LinuxTag2001 in a few weeks, and we're currently still working getting
   some things implemented properly in aRts/Brahms

So to fulfill these, for kdemultimedia/arts there is now

HEAD:
  * bugfixes only
  * will be released with KDE2.2

ARTS_0_7_BRANCH:
  * will contain new features
  * will be merged back into HEAD after KDE2.2

If you want to update your CVS copy of aRts to the branch, do:

stefan@stefan:~/src$ cd kdemultimedia/arts
stefan@stefan:~/src/kdemultimedia/arts$ cvs update -r ARTS_0_7_BRANCH

Some goals for the branch/aRts-0.7.x unstable development are:

 * environments (for sequencer integration: the sequencer creates an
   environment with some devices, for instance a mixer and synthesizers,
   that can be saved easily with all settings made there with the song
   file, and restored later)
 * software emulation of a multichannel mixer
 * more work on aRts midi support (synchonization with audio, timing,
   recording)
 * harddisc recording
 * ladspa support
 * implement all features fully that were present in the last aRts/CORBA
   (0.3.4.1) release, that is for instance
     - reading/playing AKAI samples
	 - modifying instrument parameters while playing (instrument GUIs)
	 - recording from soundserver by a small program (old artsrec/artsmon)
	 - schedule cycles of modules properly

Here is a screenshot of the mixer code in ARTS_0_7_BRANCH:

  http://space.twc.de/~stefan/arts-mixer.png

Hope that makes everybody happy ;)

   Cu... Stefan