List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mpeglib
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-06-08 10:16:35

Hi,

>Most of those messages don't exit artsd though.
>Real arts-killers seem to be VBR files - of which I have a lot :(
>http://malte.homeip.net/test.mp3 is the how-to-pronounce-noatun wav encoded
>with
>lame -b 256 -m s -v test.wav test.mp3
>after making the .wav 44.1 kHz and stereo. It doesn't neccessarily kill artsd
>on every run, but if you try a few times it will. Basically it's impossible
>to use noatun as mp3 player these days as it dies (because of arts crashes,
>because of mpglib problems(?)) after a few songs.

Yes. VBR files can lead to this problem.
The bug is that the latest changes to the mp3-decoder
now make it sends an empty frame (the vbr header) to artsd.

artsd gets a negative samplesize.
Due to the threads this leads in some
situations to races (artsd gets pcm data
before updating the samplesize)
This can be the reported bug.
(This bug will be fixed before 2.2.)

Martin